The Evening Before Surgery
- A nurse will call you between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. the day before surgery to tell you when to arrive.
- IMPORTANT eating instructions
- Do NOT eat food or drink milk after midnight
- Water is okay until 4 hours before admission.
- No gum, mints, or hard candy
- Follow bowel preparation instructions, if ordered by your physician.
- Take a shower or bath on the day of your surgery.
- DO NOT shave the surgery site. The hospital has special clippers to remove hair if needed.
- Alert your surgeon of any rashes, cuts or scrapes on or near your surgery site.
- For your safety, your stomach must be empty for surgery. If you eat or drink before your surgery, it will have to be postponed.
Next page: The Day of Surgery, Before You Leave Home