The Days/Weeks Before Surgery
- Call your insurance company right away to tell them that you are having surgery.
- You may want to take a tour of the medical facility.
- Plan for a ride home. Have a responsible adult drive you home. This does not include transportation via taxi or public bus. Because of the stress of surgery and the medicines used, you are not a safe driver. You will not be allowed to drive home because you could hurt someone else, yourself, and your car.
- Find someone to stay with you or check on you for at least 24 hours after going home.
- You may need more help than your family and friends can provide. You can call Central Washington Hospital's Care Management Department at 662-1511 ext. 2344.
- Call your doctor if you get sick before the surgery.
- Discontinue herbal supplements as soon as you know you are having surgery; ideally, two weeks prior to your surgery.
Next page: The Evening Before Surgery