Day of Surgery
Once You Arrive for Surgery
- Arrive at scheduled time.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Parent or legal guardian of children under age 18 must remain at the hospital until the child is discharged to home.
- Visit with the surgeon. Meet the anesthesiologist.
- Your surgeon will mark the operative site.
- A nurse reviews your health history and makes sure you are ready for surgery.
- A nurse will discuss using pain-rating scale with you.
- An IV (intravenous catheter) is started, for medicines and fluids.
- Pain medicine, antibiotics, or other medicine may be given through your IV.
- Let your nurse or anesthesiologist know about pain medicines you take at home.
- Anesthesiologist may order medicine to help you relax and help keep you from being sick to your stomach.
- Surgical area may be cleaned and hair clipped by staff.
- One or two family members may sit with you while you are waiting for surgery. You will have a blanket or warming device put on you to keep you warm.
Next page: After the Operation